Islamabad: Due to the serious health condition of President Asif Ali Zardari, Advocate Sardar Mohammad Latif Khan Khosa has urged the prison authorities to allow the private doctors to examine President Asif Ali Zardari and perform required test to safeguard the life enshrined as a fundamental right of a citizen.
Sardar Latif Khosa wrote a letter in this regard addressed to the Superintendent and Deputy Superintendent Adyala Jail. The text of the letter is attached herewith.
- That the applicant Asif Ali Zardari former President of Pakistan who has been incarcerated in prison in 10.06.2019 under NAB Reference No.2/2019, in on judicial remand as an under trial prisoner.
- That the applicant is about 65 years old and suffering from multiple medical issues since long as has also been observed by the Board of Doctors constituted while in custody by the Government under orders of the Court and which stand recapitulated in order dated 20.08.2019 passed by this Honorable Court, the relevant part thereof is reproduced herein below;
“—He is suffering from various ailments and was allowed two attendants to monitor his sugar and blood pressure round the clock. Due to multiple morbidities, even a board of doctors has been checking him every week. The cardio vascular disease and fluctuating sugar and blood pressure exposes such patients to greater risk contracting life threatening conditions in a stream hot and humid weather—”
—It is also clarified that facilities be provided to the accused which are necessary for his health according to instructions of doctors–”.
(Copies of the medical reports of application along with order of court attached herewith).
- That in consequence of the order of this court dated 20.08.2019 afore referred, applicant in view of his precarious medical condition has been shifted to PIMS hospital second time on 22.10.2019 which premises has now been declared as a sub-jail as well.
- That right of life stands sanctified under Article 9 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, 1973, a fundamental right of every citizen of Pakistan which includes the right to have the best medical care of his own choice and satisfaction.
- That the applicant’s medical condition and the persecutory nature of the false and politically motivated case merits that the applicant may be allowed to be examined by the doctors of his own choice and medical experts at his own expense as is mandated by the Constitution and the law. The Doctors comprising of Medical Board obviously cannot be compared to private experts of various disciplines whose specialties and expertise outshines and is acknowledged within and outside Pakistan.
- That if the applicant is not given access to the Doctors of his choice the same way lead to serious risk to his life which can lead to irreparable damage to his health and may even imperil his life.
- That other similarly poised NAB prisoners have been granted access to private medical doctors of their choice which also entitles the applicant to similar treatment under Article 25 of the Constitution of Pakistan.
- That in view of the foregoing the applicants submits the names of his personal private Doctors along with their bio data mentioned herein below, they may also be allowed to look after him and provide appropriate medical advice;
i. Dr. Asim Hussain, Orthopedic Surgeon. ii. Dr. Rasheed Jooma, Neuro Surgeon. iii. Dr. Salma Madha, American Board Neurologist. iv. Major General Zafar (FCPS) Cardiologist. v. Dr. Toufeeq (FCPS) Endocrinologist.
Under the circumstances it is humbly submitted that doctors referred above may be allowed to medically examine the applicant and that they may also be facilitated to conduct any test so required in order to safeguard the life enshrined as a fundamental right of the applicant.